7 Features to Focus on When Evaluating Facial Recognition Technology
As biometric authentication innovations progress, facial recognition technology continues to gain traction across a range of industries and applications. Selecting the right solution requires careful consideration given its impact on privacy, security, usability and the customer experience.
Here are seven features to focus on to find the best facial recognition fit for your organization.
1. Top NIST Ranking for Matching Performance & Accuracy. When it comes to biometric accuracy, look for a solution that continuously earns high marks in the NIST Face Recognition Vendor Test (FRVT) benchmarks. This includes excelling in 1:1 verification, 1:N identification and complex applications like Paperless Travel. Remarkable accuracy transforms the user experience and ensures the reliability of identity verification processes.
2. Algorithms Trained to Eliminate Matching Bias. One of the most significant concerns surrounding facial recognition technology is bias — often resulting from inadequately diverse training sets. Look into how a potential offering addresses this issue. Top performers employ extensive, ethically sourced datasets comprising millions of images that span various ages and racial characteristics. This commitment to data diversity helps eliminate bias, and fosters inclusivity and fairness in applications.
3. Exceptional ‘In-the-Wild’ Recognition. Real-world scenarios cause significant challenges to facial recognition systems due to variations in lighting, poses, expressions, backgrounds and clothing. Look for facial recognition systems that utilize advanced technologies — such as artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML) and multispectral imaging (MSI) — combined with an advanced camera system, such as HID’s U.ARE.U™ Camera Identification System, to ensure reliable recognition performance in diverse circumstances.
4. Spoof-Proof Presentation Attack Detection (PAD). Criminals are creative and an ongoing threat in the biometrics realm. To thwart unauthorized access with confidence and efficiency, select a system with advanced PAD. Look for PAD systems that meet ISO 30107 standards and can swiftly detect both active liveness (specific actions done in a pre-determined order) and passive liveness (determining a real face without requiring movement) with high accuracy. Advanced PAD is critical to mitigate the risk of the wrong person gaining access or misidentification, and therefore, provides a higher level of security.
5. Extensive Document Verification With Customized ID Proofing. Elite facial recognition technologies extend beyond biometric capture to encompass document verification and identity proofing. Choose an offering with this type of multifaceted approach, and be sure it accommodates various document types from all countries/regions — all with significant flexibility built in. This will afford your organization concrete customization capabilities to tailor identity verification for specific use cases and requirements, such as eKYC.
6. Stellar Security & Privacy. Security and privacy are paramount concerns in today’s digital world. Integrate a facial recognition solution that’s purposely designed for maximum protection with (1) on-device biometric data processing for utmost security and reliability, (2) robust endpoint security measures with encrypted databases and encrypted communications across every endpoint to safeguard user information, and (3) never retains/stores the biometric data or PII (personally identifiable information).
7. A Modular Approach for Fast, Flexible Deployment. One final and substantial point is that deployment of new technologies is often associated with disruption and complex migrations — and very few biometric projects fit neatly into a one-size-fits-all offering. An ideal facial recognition technology partner provides you with a modular approach. A component-based solution suits your company’s immediate face authentication and verification needs with the option to expand as requirements evolve. This also enables seamless integration into existing systems that eliminates ‘rip-and-replace’ endeavors.
The number of value props extends beyond simply seven, of course, but this is a solid checklist to move down when exploring effective tools for frictionless biometric identification and authentication. Check out our 7 Reasons Why infographic for a more concise look at this transformative biometric facial recognition technology.
- Learn more about HID’s AI-powered facial recognition technologies
- Read about HID’s modular approach to facial recognition solutions
- Explore HID’s broader biometric offerings