Bamboo Badges: Where Sustainability Meets Security
Our recent survey on the state of access control in 2023 showed that HID partners and end users, as well as security and IT professionals, may have varying needs and concerns but nearly all agree on one thing: the need for sustainable solutions. In fact, sustainability was a top issue for almost 90% of our survey respondents.
Our end users and their consumers are primarily driving this demand, with ever-increasing numbers asking for operational transparency and requiring solutions that reduce environmental impact.
And we’re not the only ones seeing these trends.
The Sustainability Shift
Sustainability continues to be a key focus for HID, and is a core consideration when it comes to the development and optimization of our products and solutions. Together with ASSA ABLOY, we have committed to an ambitious sustainability program with specific, science-backed targets in line with the Paris Agreement.
While we work hard to lead the way, we’re certainly not alone.
- Investors are increasingly applying non-financial environmental, social and corporate governance factors (ESG factors) as part of their analysis process to identify material risks and growth opportunities
- Leading security vendors are now including sustainability achievements in their reporting systems
- Businesses are increasingly referring to “Net zero” and “renewable” initiatives
- Bloomberg predicts that global ESG assets will exceed $53 trillion by 2025 — that’s more than one-third of the anticipated total assets under management
- The United Nations is focusing on sustainability with their Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), a set of 17 goals and 169 targets that balance ESGs
This growing number of eco-minded organizations are seeking sustainability in every facet of their business, including their credential programs. While digital credentials continue to be a solution that aligns to the sustainability agenda (in addition to delivering many other benefits!), many are seeking physical alternatives to traditional PVC cards. All of this presents a problem for providers: how to create cost-effective, sustainable and highly-secure physical credentials?
For HID, the answer is bamboo.
Introducing the HID Eco Card
The recently released HID Eco Card is made of sustainable, environmentally-friendly bamboo certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) and TUViT Seal 5. Why bamboo? We love that it’s exceptionally fast growing and requires little agricultural intervention like fertilizer or pesticides, plus has low energy consumption and CO2 emissions during processing. Our customers also love that it reduces their plastic and consumables waste. Watch the video below to learn more.
In addition to being eco-friendly, the HID Eco Card is:
- Secure — SIO-enabled, featuring advanced Seos® encryption technology to keep data safe
- Versatile — Compatible with a wide range of access control systems and ideal for a
variety of applications
- Durable — Designed for durability and reuse, with a three-year warranty
- Brandable — Can be customized so brands can showcase their commitment to sustainability and security
Small shifts like opting for bamboo badges can make a real difference to the planet and to public perception. It’s just one way organizations are showing their commitment to sustainability — and another way HID is leading the world in powering trusted identities.
Matt leads the End User team for Physical Access Control Solutions in Europe. He is an expert in both physical control and mobile access with over two decades’ worth of experience in the security industry. Matt's team works with customers across all verticals to advise and help them to understand and implement HID solutions.